Mould plays an important role in the natural environment by helping to break down organic matter. Indoors, however, mould growth can be toxic. Mould requires food and water to survive and it finds an excellent source of food is any carbon-based (particularly cellulose or wood-based) substances like drywall, wood wall studs, wood flooring, decking or carpeting. Once an adequate moisture source has been located, dormant mould spores can gain a foothold. As long as the food and moisture sources remain available, mould colonies will thrive and spread. The presence of indoor mould can compromise the health of those living or working in the affected building. Even short term exposure to moulds can result in a variety of allergy symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, nasal congestion, skin irritation, red or watery eyes, nausea and headaches. People who are exposed to mould for long periods of time can experience more severe symptoms such as fever and breathing difficulties. Mould exposure has also been linked to serious health conditions such as lung disease and brain damage. ERT crews are certified experts in the field of mould remediation. Our remediation teams are skilled in mould awareness, remediation, reinstatement and disposal of contaminated materials.